Help People Navigate Your Field Better
The maps we make for events, going back years, have attracted much praise, attention, and jealousy. Now, you can learn how to make clear, customized, military-style, land-nav friendly maps of any area you wish.
In fact, this is all hands on, so you will make a map of your actual area of operations. So, be sure to read all the requirements and make proper plans to bring the data, and equipment required.
You Must Bring
If you do not meet all these requirements you can still attend, but will not get as much out of the class:
- A basic understanding of land navigation principles. If you have taken no land nav training, try the intro videos here, and ask for additional help.
- A reasonably modern, fast computer running Windows or MacOS with sufficient room to install software and download graphics files.
- Bring any accessories you may need, such as an external monitor, mouse, or pen tablet. There will be not much typing, but lots of drawing.
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- An installed and operating copy of the latest Adobe Illustrator
- Creative Cloud is a subscription service, but you may get a 30 day trial for free. If you opt for this, be sure to not install too early, so the trial works properly during the class time
- Coordinates for the corners of the property for which you will be making the map during the class.
- Any additional information about the land for which you will make the map, such as sketches or GPS tracks for roads, buildings, and property lines.
There are no uniform requirements. This is entirely a classroom exercise, so otherwise plan accordingly to bring your equipment and be comfortable the entire time.
CWG Will Provide
- A room, tables, chairs.
- Power, and extension cords, power strips and the like
- Reference materials, online and in person
- Training in how to use Adobe Illustrator in the most basic way
- Instructions on how to
- Hands on work
- One full-sized (up to 24" across) printout of your final output, even if not completed until later.
CWG will provide lunch on Saturday, but snacks and additional drinks are up to you. Bring a water bottle or other materials as you see fit.
Please keep food to yourself, and only use lidded containers to drink out of to avoid spilling on your, or others' computers.
While there are no formal plans for a group dinner on Saturday night, it is likely some of us will have spare time, so plan for and ask about that before class breaks up.
Shawnee is a suburb of Kansas City, and the training site is within a few minutes of an Interstate. If not from the metro area, there are numerous hotels nearby.
Due to the relatively small expected class size, we do not have special arrangements with any hotels in the area.