Swift Fox 20 Moves Online
With increasing recommendations and restrictions on gatherings and travel, and the financial, schedule, and personal stresses everyone is under, CWG has cancelled all in-person events for at least the remainder of 2020. Read more...
Low intensity warfare, high stakes
Operation Swift Fox is a recurring spring offensive between Ardea and the Republic of Kitoy over the decades-long fight for control of the unpopulated, mountainous, and hard-to-navigate Central Grafsten Highlands.
In normal times, CWG hosts a Force-on-Force field exercise every spring to perform part of the activity as a series of small unit activities, operations, and engagements.
Online war gaming
This year, CWG will instead host an online event, similar to a tabletop war game pitting larger scale forces, with more capabilities, over a longer timeframe. This event will be more about how you command, plan, and think than how you hike, or shoot.
You will play the role of a small unit — as small as a squad — and will perform a mission, find and fight the enemy, and communicate with your chain of command over a voice link to simulate tactical radio.
Full details, with files to download and guides of how to use the systems, will be forthcoming, but in principle the game will operate as follows:
- You are a unit, not a unit commander. Therefore, you can't be killed. Unless you manage to entirely wipe out your entire unit, you will play the entire time.
- The battle will simulate real weapon effects, not simulation systems like airsoft. You can be shot at from 800 m, or mortared from 8,000.
- You can have other special mission equipment like machine guns, automatic grenade launchers, mortars, ISR platforms, and more. If we give them to you, because we're still a third world army, and if you want to haul them around.
- All your choices will be taken into consideration. If you carry lots of ammo, your unit will move slower. Your choice of route impacts how visible you are, how fast you move, and how tired your soldiers are on the other end. Manage your resources, and your team assets as you would in a real-world fight.
- There will also be vehicles, even possibly aircraft. But also ATGW and MANPADs!
- Off-board weapons and support (artillery, national-level ISR) will be very limited or not used at all.
- CASEVAC is expected to be provided, but this is real world. No one is "respawned." Either people are treated by your medics and return to duty somewhat less effective, or are evacuated. If someone wishes to run the aid station and ambulances for one side, do tell us; otherwise we'll handle it as non-played asset.
- The game play will be sped up. Likely some simple factor like 10x speed, so the 8 hours of play will be 80 hours, or over 3 days of on-the-ground action. We may administratively choose to skip ahead during times we know all units will be inactive instead of sitting there doing nothing for long periods.
- You will communicate with other units in your army using one "tactical radio channel." This will be a Skype (or other, TBD) call you will be invited to. No video is allowed, though text messaging MAY be (TBD). Stay on mute except when transmitting, and use proper radio procedure including callsigns.
- You will communicate with game administrators via a chat system (Messenger? Slack? TBD) one-on-one. You say what you want to do, and the administrator will tell you the results, tell you when you see or hear enemy, and so on.
We will continue to use the Ardean and Kitoi armies, but equipment requirements for force-on-force events are naturally meaningless, so we will assign you to one or the other. If you have a preference, or wish to be sided with another set of players, just tell us in order comments or respond to the order confirmation email with your request.
No other factions and armies including police, border guards, and the GDL will not be used during this event. If you wish to play a unit other than a light infantry one (medical unit, artillery, engineers, armor, etc) ask. We may not allow it, but... we might, or we can plan for it in future events.
SWIFT FOX 20 IS SOLD OUT
Due to the nature of this event, we cannot easily add more participants so registration is now closed.
If you really want to attend, contact us and we'll put you on a waiting list in case there is a cancellation.
Purchase related products such as unit insignia, attire, munitions, authentic MREs and more.